Thursday 20 October 2011

THE DEMI-MONDE SPRING: SAMPLE CHAPTER

The VERY efficient Caroline Butler at Quercus has let me have a link to the downloadable first chapter of The Demi-Monde: Spring which is out in the UK on the 5th January. Try:

http://extracts.quercusbooks.co.uk/demi-monde-spring/
It's an excellent download with flipping pages and rustling sounds and all that other excellent digital stuff so I hope you enjoy it. Odette Aroca who features is a new heroine and I've come to really like her. When I was writing her the image that kept coing to mind was of film actress Mae West (a remarkable woman!) so for those who are too young to know who she is:


One point: you'll see from the extract that the opening words are:
Beau nichon!
This was the subject of some debate between me and my editors. I had originally wanted
'Nice tit!'
but was persuaded to go with something a tad less crude so the French translation was substituted (the action takes place in the French Sector of the Demi-Monde, the Quartier Chaud). I think in retrospect I should have stuck my heels in!

No comments:

Post a Comment