Thursday 18 November 2010

RENEGADE WRITERS' GROUP: 17TH NOVEMBER

Bit of a surprise at the group yesterday to find Sandy Auden there. I first met Sandy - who's a freelance journalist - at WHC in Brighton when she was stricken with laryngitis and we've kept nearly-bumping-into each other since. She did an e-interview with me for SFX which she told me last night will be in this month's issue. Good news! She read a review she'd written about 'The Fall' by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. Sandy obviously liked the book but I don't know if I'll read it...I'm not too keen on vampire stuff. Great to meet Sandy again, tho'.

Peter read a new piece of his which I think will be entitled 'The Room of Ambiguity' - maybe that should be 'Room for Ambiguity', Peter, it's more, 'er, ambiguous - which involved several rather surreal happenings, including a talking tap. Very interesting but I think the tap should have a more sinister aspect...less drippy, perhaps?

Shaun read  the opening prologue of his new book but I don't think I can say too much about it as Shaun seems very keen to keep the plot sotto voce. An intriguing opening nevertheless but a May deadline sounds very daunting.

Tim brought a piece he'd written about war graves and the fallen of the First World War called 'The Last Shot' which sounds rather dour but has real potential. Tim has a talent for communicating languid despair. I think all he has to do now is choose which story he's going to run with (this or the sex-o-drama) and concentrate all efforts towards finishing it.

Peter C told me that they'll be using my short 'To Infer is Human' in the Christmas edition of Dark Stacks which is good news.

All-in-all a good night.

3 comments:

  1. Hi again Rod,

    I think this month's SFX is already out so your article's unlikely to be in that one but I'm expecting it to be in the December issue, all things being equal.

    Lovely to meet you and have a proper conversation where we can both speak!

    And you're right, it was a good night last night.

    Soon,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got it! This month is next month even though it comes out this month...or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that in the 1960s I used to get the January Airfix Magazine well before Christmas every year!

    ReplyDelete