Wednesday 15 September 2010

PROXY TWEETING

I had a meeting with Quercus' Digital Manager, Mark Thwaite, last week and the subject of tweeting came  up. I have to say I'm not keen: my life is much too humdrum to interest anybody. I can't see a repetitive tweet saying 'Got up, wrote a bit, went to bed' being much of a grabber.

But ever willing - and prompted by the ever inventive Nigel - I got to thinking about tweeting on behalf of two of the Real World characters in 'The Demi-Monde', Ella and Norma. These two girls will be my proxy tweets.

As those of you who have read the book will be aware it commences as follows:

  • Norma Williams is captured in the DM on the 37th Day of Winter, 1004 DM time (equivalent to a Real World date of 9th June, 2018), and,
  • Ella Thomas enters the DM on the 40th Day of Winter, 1004 or the 12th June, 2018.
My plan is that both Ella and Norma will begin tweeting on the 4th May, 2018 (the 1st Day of Winter, 1004) when they are both in the Real World and their daily tweets will continue until they are finally in the DM.

So...as the Launch of the book is scheduled for the 6th January, 2011, I have assumed that this corresponds to 12th June, 2018 and I hence Norma and Ella (with my help) will begin tweeting on the 28th November, 2010 (Launch minus 40) with the tweets ending on Launch Day (when Ella and Norma are in the DM they obviously can't tweet).

The neat thing about this is it allows me to give some broader hints about how Norma came to be lost in the DM, for example...

5/14/2018. So ↓ I escaped school to indulge some retail therapy. Anything 2 get my mind off th@ b****** Johnny & ‘Rumours’.


5/14/2018. The Demi-Monde sells goth gear. Run by a cool girl called Liz. Gotta vague idea th@ I know her from somewhere. Sorta déjà vu.

No comments:

Post a Comment